Wednesday, December 8, 2010

How to Make Candy Cane Fudge - Kindergarten Style


First, grab your sister. It helps if you dress up in your best sparkly dresses, to put you in a Christmas mood. Have your mom standing by.

Unwrap a bag of Candy Cane Hershey Kisses. Put the empty wrappers back into the bag...


...and the candies into the bowl...


...except for the last one, that goes in your mouth.


Next, pour a can of sticky goo, over the top of the candy. Mom says it's a 14 oz. can of sweetened condensed milk, and that it doesn't taste as bad as it looks.


Have your mom put the bowl into the microwave. Shut the door - don't slam it! And, press 3-0-start.


You might need to stand on a bench, to reach the microwave.


Have your mom take the bowl out the microwave. Stir the melting candy.


Repeat, the microwave, and stirring steps, two more times. You might want to let your sister have a turn stirring, too (or not).


When all the candy is melted, and it stops looking gross, and starts looking pretty, and sparkly, and pink, have your Mom pour it into a greased 9''x9'' pan. You can help scrape out the bowl, with the spoon, and have a little taste.


It's really yummy, but the fudge in the pan will need to cool before you eat it, or it will be gooey. Don't try to convince your Dad, while your Mom is showering, that she meant for it to be a bedtime snack. It's better to wait.

Mom says to remember too, that even though it's smooth, and fluffy, and not too rich, eating the entire pan in one sitting, is the same as eating a whole bag of candy kisses, and drinking a can of sweetened condensed milk. So, cut the pieces small, and go easy.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

23 comments:

Christy Killoran said...

Ha! I love the way you wrote this post.

My daughter would love to have a dress like that. She only wears dresses and the more sparkles, the better!

That sounds easy enough for me to make for Christmas. Is it worthy of the Christmas dessert table? Sounds good.

kewkew said...

yummy, gotta try this and soon. Love the instructions!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Christy - Oh yes, it it worthy! I already called my husband, and told him to expect me to 10 lbs heavier by tonight :)

Christy Killoran said...

Ha ha! Thanks. I'm adding it to the Christmas menu.

Kayte said...

This was so cute. I can't wait to try it.

Unknown said...

I think I could make this too, but probably not with as much "style" as your girls did... :0)

Debbie said...

This post is so cute!

That fudge looks yummy, I don't think I have ever seen candy cane kisses, I will have to look for them.

Aimee @ Chickenville said...

Very cute. I love that your kids are so involved and independent in the kitchen. That's how I've gotten mine to eat just about anything.

We started homeschooling last year halfway through kindergarten. I discovered your site shortly after that and have enjoyed reading your about your activities. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

What a sweet way to start my day! I am loving these posts. . . .Looking for my best sparkly dress so I can get started. . . HA!

Ticia said...

love the picture of them looking at the microwave.

And my kids are the same way about waiting, they don't.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I laughed reading this post - your girls are so cute. I cannot imagine eating so much fudge ever!

Phyllis said...

That looks so yummy! And you have the most beautiful and charming daughters! (Mom is pretty amazing too!)

Fairion said...

You had me laughing so hard it was difficult to finish. Froggy is roughly the same age as your girls and I think she will love this especially since I am going to give her this post pictures and all as the recipe. We are going to make it to put in her teacher gift baskets. Thank you for sharing.

Mrs. B said...

Love the photo of your girls standing together, staring at the microwave!

Momma McCall said...

I love those kisses so I was excited to see your post. We made it today and discovered that could even be called pre-K style. It was so simple that my lil' monkey was able to help with it all! It was a big hit with him (and grandpa!) Thanks so much for the idea!

phasejumper said...

Made this yesterday. Will post with a link to you tomorrow. How long will this last in the fridge (if it doesn't get eaten that is...) Mine didn't set up very well, very soft, not sure why...

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Phasejumper - It might be soft because of too few candy kisses. I should have included the size bag I used, but I forgot to check until after the garbage had gone out. Usually this type of fudge takes 16-18 ounces of chocolate, or candy. Ours was eaten very quickly, so I'm not sure how long it keeps :)

phasejumper said...

Yep, that would be the problem...we might have had too many samples while we were unwrapping! lol It still tastes good! I even melted some of it in hot milk to make a some candy cane hot white chocolate drink!

What I Did Today said...

TOTALLY making this! Thanks!

What I Did Today said...

I did it. And I linked to this post today. :) Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this delicious and easy recipe. My kids and I made it last night. I posted it on my blog this morning and linked back to you. I really enjoy all of your wonderful ideas.

Stephanie
http://mostlybluewithatouchofpink.blogspot.com/

phasejumper said...

I kept forgetting to tell you how we salvaged our "too few kisses fudge"...So I had a double batch of runny fudge left, so I melted it down in the oven and added an entire package of crushed oreos. When it cooled, it had set up perfectly! (So now it is more of a candy cane fudge bark but it is still delicious!)

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Phasejumper - Sounds terrific!