Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Candy Cane Story Time


We enjoyed The Candymaker's Gift by David & Helen Haidle, for our story time, this afternoon. It's a legend (meaning not at all true, but still a nice story) about the origin of candy cane. In this particular account, the candy cane is made by a candy store owner, as a Christmas gift to his young granddaughter, and for all the children of the town, as a reminder of the the true Gift of Christmas.

He makes the candy hard, because Jesus is our Rock. He adds peppermint flavor, thinking of the wise men, and the spices they presented to the Child. It is white for Christ's purity, with red stripes to remind us of His love, and the blood he gave for us.

It's shape is reminiscent of a shepherds staff, both for the shepherds watching their flocks by night, and for the Good Shepherd, born that day. And when it's turned upside down, it forms a "J" for Jesus.

It's a nicely written story, a little on the sentimental side maybe, but the children seemed to enjoy it.

As a bonus there is a candy cane cookie recipe at the back, which we might try out tonight, as well as a number of activity suggestions, such as enjoying the story over hot chocolate, while using candy canes as stir sticks. Which, it just so happens, we were already doing.


The girls had used what was left of the melted chocolate, after we made our frozen banana snowmen, last night (before we picked up the book), to quickly dip a few candy canes in, and then roll them in sprinkles, for a story time treat, today. So, we laughed when we got to the end of the story, and saw it suggested there.

I do have to say though, it is an excellent suggestion. It only took minutes for the girls to dip, and sprinkle the candy canes, but they completely transformed our normal, afternoon story time, into a full scale, Christmas event.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

10 comments:

Debbie said...

I always loved that version of the story about candy canes. The chocolate covered candy canes look yummy. I love to make candy cane cookies at Christmas.

Brimful Curiosities said...

I have that book on hold at the library and hope to read it before Christmas.

Unknown said...

I am SUCH a Peppermint Mocha fan- these would be SO GOOD with coffee too...YUMMMMMMMMMMMM!

Elise said...

How wonderful to turn an otherwise ordinary afternoon into something very festive with the candy canes.

White chocolate covered banana people sound like such a fun treat to make and delicious to eat. I think my children would really enjoy making these - maybe something we can do in our winter months.

Christy Killoran said...

We have been using candy canes to stir our hot cocoa too. I love the idea of dipping them in chocolate and sprinkles first! We'll have to try that.

I want to believe the candy cane legend. AS a matter of fact, I seem to want to believe in every legend this time of year.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

This looks yummy - except nobody in the family likes peppermint. Anna likes to get candy canes, but not to eat them :) Do you have any creative ideas on what to do with uneaten candy canes?

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Raising a Happy Child - You can always tie them around vases, or candles for a pretty centerpiece.

Let me see - If I have this right, you don't like peppermint, white chocolate, pumpkin, or cinnamon...what do you eat this time of year? :)

Phyllis said...

I am loving your Christmas symbols posts. We have been doing a similar thing this year. It is what passes for school for us these days. :)

Christy Killoran said...

I came back to see what you dipped the candy canes in and so I had to read the comments. I fell off the chair laughing at your comment to Natalie. I was wondering the same thing!!!

By the way, I'm making coal crayons tomorrow for our story time with Lemony Snicket and I bought the ingredients to make the fudge you made recently too - can't wait!

Ticia said...

I love your description of a legend. I might have to steal that.