Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Homemade Christmas Gummy Candy


While I had the Jell-O out today, I decided to make the kids some Christmas gummy candies, to take along to the Christmas Eve service.

I used the candy molds I pulled out of last year's advent calendars.

Remember, if you're using those inexpensive, chocolate filled, kind of calendars, save the plastic trays, before you throw them away. They are nice candy molds.


I used the recipe I've posted before, that I found originally at Not So Idle Hands. A single batch fills three candy trays.


  • 6 packets of unflavored gelatin.
  • 1 - 6 oz package of flavored gelatin.
  • 5/6 cups of water (strange I know, 2/3 plus half of a third, but it's right)

Mix all the ingredients together in a small sauce pan, or double boiler, and let sit for 10 minutes, to thicken.


Melt over medium-low heat, stirring constantly. Just melt, do not cook.


Pour into candy molds, or mini-muffin pans.


Chill 10 minutes in the refrigerator.


Remove from molds, and enjoy.



My hand was not too steady as I filled the molds today, so I overfilled a few, making kind of messy candy. Not that anyone in my house cared, but I found they are very easy to trim with sharp knife.


The trimmings made a nice sample...



...before I sealed the rest into snack bags, to keep them from being immediately devoured.


It's great to be a homeschooler.

6 comments:

Christy Killoran said...

I have not seen this before. I never buy those chocolate calendars, but now I'm thinking I'll buy a few after Christmas when they are on sale just for the molds. I'm adding Jello to my shopping list!

Debbie said...

These candies look so yummy!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Awesome - Anna just requested a "science experiment" that involved chocolate molds. I pointed out to her that we don't have the molds. Now I know that we do, and I am sure she will be thrilled to reuse her calendar. Thanks for an idea!

Phyllis said...

We made those type gummies this past summer at our family camp. I think it is a great idea to use those chocolate advent calendars for the molds. Like Christy I never get those, but it does look like a great idea for re-using them if you do.

Unknown said...

What an EXCELLENT idea! The Dollar Tree molds I have would make some GREAT gummy candies...

Ticia said...

oh, that's right dollar tree has some molds right now. I have horrid luck with making candy, but maybe I could make this.