Saturday, July 10, 2010

Pop Bottle Sprinkler Toy


Something about the aisles, and aisles of super terrific, water toys, this year, has moved me to complete indecision. So, when the heat wave arrived this week, I was caught unprepared. Or, almost unprepared, I did have a couple of empty pop bottles.


Now, I know this might be a bit red necky, but the little ones were gloriously happy with it. In fact, they even told me I was the best mom ever. Never mind, that later when I wouldn't give them thirds on popsicles, I was declared the worst mom ever. They love their pop bottle sprinkler.


All I did was take an empty, two liter pop bottle, poke it full of holes (I made a pattern of lines all the way around it, with a thumbtack), and taped it to the hose with duck tape.



Given the short life expectancy of water toys at our house, and the amount of fun the little ones are having with this one, I'm beginning to think it's not too bad an idea.



It's great to be a homeschooler.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol they looked like they were having a blast :)

Deborah Stewart said...

I was just wishing I had a sprinkler today - my dog loves playing in the sprinkler and this would have worked perfectly for him. I will make one for him tomorrow:)

I was wondering if you could put some food coloring or little plastic balls in the bottle too for a little extra fun!

Debbie said...

They look like so happy running around. I am going to have to remember this as here there isn't much need for a sprinkler, we maybe water once a year. This would be a great way to let Selena play in the water!

Christie - Childhood 101 said...

What a great idea, wishing the weather was warm on this side of the world :)

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Deborah - Food coloring might be interesting. I'm not sure how my husband would feel about colored grass, though.

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

What a blast!! We'll have to try this! :-)

Erin said...

How totally clever! My kids would think this was pretty darn cool as well. We just might have to try this out tomorrow!

Thanks for the great idea!!!

www.makingmemorieswithyourkids.blogspot.com

Christy Killoran said...

This is a fantastic idea! Our store bought sprinkler broke this week, so I will be trying this!

(V.Kerr) School Time Adventures said...

Great simple idea! Love it~

family of 4 on the move! said...

You are so smart!! What a fabulous idea! We are having a really hard time finding things here for water play and that is just perfect for us!
Thanks so much for the idea and sharing it with us!

Phyllis said...

Just wanted to let you know that I have nominated you for the blog award of A Blog of Substance.
http://homeschooljournal-bergblog.blogspot.com/2010/07/passing-on-blog-with-substance-award.html
Have a happy day.

Leah Courtney said...

Sometimes the best ideas seem "red-necky" to the uninitiated. :-)

Looks like fun!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I wish we had a water hose like this - ours has a permanent head on it that we definitely use often for sprinkling our daughter. She loves this water play a lot, and it looks like your girls had a blast!

pressure washer hose said...

Great idea! I haven't try that before. I've got an idea. Thanks for sharing this post. Keep post!


-seff-

Ticia said...

Hmmm, I wonder if I could find a convertor of some sort that I could use to put it on by screwing it. Otherwise here comes the duct tape.

I must have missed this during my vacation.