Friday, July 16, 2010

Pop Bottle Carrot Garden Conclusion

The carrots we planted in the pop bottle terrarium back in March, were finally ready to be harvested this week.

After, I pulled a premature carrot out, a few weeks ago, we noticed, the carrot next to it filled out, so we thinned the total number of carrots down to five.

The carrot tops grew larger right away, and last night...

...we decided it was time to see the carrots.


They were still pretty short, even for Short 'n Sweets , which according to the package should be about 4'' long.


Ours were about 1 1/2'' long. So, not quite full size. But, their taste was full grown, and for the children, who are use to store bought carrots, that come in a bag, washed, and cut, it was quite a taste sensation.
Though after a taste comparison, they decided they still prefer the bagged carrots. The Man of the House and I, were flabbergasted, and decided we really need to work on feeding them more fresh picked produce, whenever possible.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

4 comments:

Debbie said...

I love the picture of your daughter, the expression on her face tells an entire story on its own. That is so funny that they would still prefer store carrots over home grown!

Ticia said...

Wow that face. I remember loving homegrown carrots growing up. If I thought they'd grow here, and my kids wouldn't pull them up too soon, I'd give it a try.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

For some reason I was convinced that your kids in Montana eat exclusively fresh produce... and homemade sweets ;) What would be interesting, I think, is to compare these "bottle grown" carrots to garden grown and see if there is a taste difference in them.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Raising a Happy Child - I might like to bake, but I'm a really lazy gardner. I keep a "tea garden" - strawberries, raspberries, mint, and violas, and we usually try to have sunflowers, and pumpkins in the fall, but that is about it.

From what I can remember from my own childhood though, our bottle grown carrots tasted exactly like garden grown. They were very good - if small.