Friday, July 23, 2010

Peach Creamsicles, and Yummy, Homemade, Peach, Ice Cream

While I was paging through recipes for orange creamsicles, I kept coming across a recipe for peach creamsicles, that looked almost healthy. Yesterday, I finally got around to giving them a try.

The original recipe called for a small can of peaches in light syrup, two ripe, fresh peaches, peeled and cut up, a cup of heavy cream, and a teaspoon of honey.

I didn't have any fresh peaches, and if I had, I would have wanted to eat them on their own, anyway. And, I only had large cans of peaches, so I had to modify the recipe somewhat.

What I ended up with was:

  • one large can of peaches in light syrup,

  • one pint of heavy cream,

  • and two tablespoons of honey.


I pureed them in the blender, poured them into popsicle molds, and popped them into the freezer.

After filling our available molds (enough to make 8 popsicles), I still had just under a half gallon of creamy peach puree left. So, I decided to turn it into ice cream, instead. The little ones helped me with the "coffee can ice cream" making (you can read about that process, here).

Making ice cream this way is one of my favorite summer time, activity/dessert combos.

Once we'd gotten a good work out, rolling the icy bucket around the yard, I brought the half gallon container in to harden in the freezer. But first, I tasted it, and decided it needed more sweetener, so I stirred in an extra two tablespoons of sugar.

I continued checking it, and stirring it, every half hour or so, until it had hardened completely.

The ice cream got a total thumbs up from the family, but the children were not as excited about the less sweet creamsicles. They were quite creamy, and peachy, though. And, if you're the health food type, you'd probably even find them sweet enough.

As for us, next time I think I'll add the extra sugar right from the beginning.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

6 comments:

Early Childcare Resources said...

Thank the Lord that I finally found your blog again. Last time I visited your blog a few weeks back and forgot to bookmark it. But this time I have bookmarked it before letting you know that I'm fan of our blog!!!

Keep up the writing!
~Early Childcare Resources
http://ecrp.1om.ca/

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Early Childcare Resources - Thanks! I'm glad you found your way back :)

Ticia said...

Sigh, I must be the only person who's not a fan of peaches. Everyone raves about peach ice cream, but I don't like peaches, let alone peach ice cream.

Ticia said...

Maybe fresh-picked would make the difference, but the canned stuff is so sickly sweet it drives me nuts.

Christy Killoran said...

I love fresh peaches. I bet I would love the creamsicles. We have both making ice cream and making popsicles on our summer bucket list. I hope we get to both of them soon!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Those creamsicles sound pretty sweet to me :) I like reading about all your food experiments, and I am pretty sure testers don't object to them :)