Thursday, July 15, 2010

Munchy Monster Mouth Craft



Do remember our marshmallow teeth from last week's stART (story + ART) link-up?


The marshmallows dried out beautifully, so when the mouth is opened, and closed the teeth click noisely together, making them quite fun to play with.

But, D (age 7) decided his needed more personality.

So, he raided the craft closet for two fuzzy, yellow, pompoms, and two, tiny, red, pompoms, which he glued together to make eyeballs.

Then, he wrapped a couple of pipe cleaners around a pencil, to make boingy-type springs, and was preparing to glue them to the eyes, when I stepped in with the hot glue gun.

But, he kept very tight creative control of the design process.

His final monster was so cute, I thought there had to be a story out there to go with it. And, after a quick library search, we discovered Laura Numeroff's Monster Munchies counting book, featuring twenty, munchy, monster mouths. I couldn't have ask for a better match for his craft, and it's a Dr. Seuss Beginner Book to boot.


For more story stretching arts and crafts, check out this week's stART link-up at A Mommy's Adventures.


It's great to be a homeschooler.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Outstanding! I have to say this is one of the best crafts I seen from scratch in a long time.

Anonymous said...

Oh these are briliant! Missed the teeth last week, they will be great for Red Ted!

Maggy

Debbie said...

I love this! Great way to turn your son's imagination into a story time as well. That picture of him with his craft is priceless.

Marcee said...

Great job D!! I love it, I'm going to steal it!!!

Jenny said...

That's great that you kept the creative process going. My little "monsters" would love this. In fact, they were peeking in for a look.

Christy Killoran said...

Fantastic! I love it. You know we will be doing this.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I love this completely D-driven craft - his monster IS super-cute. The book sounds pretty good too!

Anonymous said...

Oh my, you have so many good ideas the next time we want to do a science experiement or craft, I'm just going to come back to your blog!! Love the mouth with marshmallows. My boys love marshmallows and might not leave enough for teeth but they'd have fun making it!! I'll see if I can find this book too.

Christianne @ Little Page Turners said...

Gotta love that initiative! So cute and clever!

Unknown said...

This looks like so much fun. I love the eyes.

Ticia said...

I love that last picture of him. So very cute!

Michelle said...

I am going to be featuring this project on my stART post tomorrow! I used a picture from your post, and linked back to you. Please let me know if that is ok...otherwise I would have no problem taking it off and just linking to you in the text! Thank you for joining in on stART and sharing your amazing ideas. I always enjoy seeing the wonderful things you do each week!