Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Simple, Sunshiny Yellow Birthday


A year ago today, we had a purple birthday party.


The theme request wasn't too surprising, since my youngest's favorite color is purple. This year though, I was all geared up for princesses, a tea party, or even Fancy Nancy. I was a little surprised when she requested a yellow birthday, instead. I even tried to get her to elaborate - yellow flowers? yellow princesses? maybe, yellow bugs? But she stuck to her guns - just yellow.

So, it's a yellow cake, yellow pinata (click here, to see how to make one), filled with yellow candy, accompanying yellow decoration. To be followed by...


  • yellow play dough fun (click here, for the recipe).

  • yellow balloon bop - where the balloons can't touch the floor

  • yellow freeze dance - where the children dance, while the music plays (something like The Beetle's Yellow Submarine song), and then freeze as the yellow object called out, when the music is stopped (sunflower, banana, shooting star, etc.)

  • and blowing bubbles in a pan - which is not yellow, but is a favorite of the birthday girl.

And, given that the gray, cold, rainy weather has returned today, I really couldn't think of a better theme, anyway.



It's great to be a homeschooler.

9 comments:

Debbie said...

It might be gray and cloudy outside, but you will definately have a warm sunny birthday party!

Butterfly said...

That's lovely and I bet she's thrilled! You did well to come up with so many yellow activities!

Ticia said...

I'd love to get a request for something that simple. Instead my kids keep adding ideas. If my boys had their way their party would have been: pirates, Diego, Jesus, and Star Wars. Yikes!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

What a lovely theme for a party. You certainly know how to have creative and frugal fun. Happy birthday (to your youngest girl!)

Phyllis said...

What a clever idea. I think that would be fun for just a summer fun day as well. Thanks for sharing this lovely idea.

Cassie said...

Perfect for a summer birthday! I love that cake!

Phyllis said...

I am planning a first-day-of-summer party for tomorrow. We are using some of your yellow party ideas. I am making the sunny pinata, yellow and orange playdough, a sunny cake. I plan to blog it, but I will, of course, link to your blog and give you the credit for the ideas. I just wanted to make sure it was okay with you.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Phyllis - Yes, of course it's okay! I hope you guys have a really great time :) I look forward to reading your post.

Phyllis said...

Our summer party is up now:
http://homeschooljournal-bergblog.blogspot.com/2010/06/celebrating-summer-party.html
Thanks for all your ideas.