Thursday, June 10, 2010

Art's Supplies - A Party in the Studio




It's a rainy afternoon in Chris Tougas's Art's Supplies, and Art has been having a party with all of his supplies. He claims that, "paper started it by inviting everyone to her pad". We substituted a cut open, paper bag for the pad, but the party was the same.
It started with the pencil.


The crayons arrived next, thinking "outside the box".


They were followed by the markers (some of whom were "magic").


Then, came the pastels, blending in "smoothly".


In the book, ink made a lasting impressing. We opted for something a bit less permanent.



But, we didn't leave out the tape, scissors, glue...


...or paint!

All in all, it was a pretty good party. We didn't really end up with a masterpiece, but we had a lot of fun exploring the supply cupboard.



I should probably note, that this book, while lively, fun, and filled with clever puns, does dip into potty, or adult humor a few times. After objecting to Robert Munsch's use of the word "bum", it seems only right to note, that Chris Tougas uses the word "butt", or at least one of the pencils does. And, there is a sickly greenish, yellow marker, who is said to have "the runs", while another marker comments, "I've been dry for quite a while now...and it feels great!"

However, from the moment we picked the book up at the library, the children have been pouring over it, and absorbing all the imaginative chaos, that takes place when art supplies are given a mind of their own.

For more story stretching arts and crafts, be sure to visit this week's stART (story + ART) link-up at A Mommy's Adventures.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

20 comments:

Joyful Learner said...

What a great book and project! JC will appreciate the potty humor as she's still at that stage. This would make a great story starter as well ...if crayons could talk!

Christy Killoran said...

Unfortunately, my kids LOVE potty humor. We could use a book that gets all of our art supplies (or at least a lot of them) out of the drawers and put to use. I hope we can find this book!

Ticia said...

Sigh, potty humor...... I wonder if I could skip those parts, because man my kids and potty humor. I think it's a genetic thing that all kids like it.
Love the project ya'll did!

Debbie said...

I don't know what it is about potty humor that seems to attract kids. Selena comes up with things I don't even know where she gets the idea for. I do love how so many different art mediums were explored, and used to create a littl masterpiece that your daughter looks so proud of!

Playing by the book said...

What a lovely open ended project. I think this sounds like a great book!

Rachel said...

We loved that book. Another that I would recommend is "Have You Seen Art?". It's about a kid who is searching for his friend, Art, at the Museum of Modern Art. My 2 y/o didn't really "get it", but she did enjoy looking at all the pictures, and it was a great way to expose her to famous artists.

sbswtp said...

What a fun project!!! Thanks for the heads up on the book.

Christianne @ Little Page Turners said...

I think that book sounds like fun, potty humor aside! :)

Maggy, Red Ted Art said...

Oh my, what a FABULOUS book, this is most definitey going on my wish list! Love the play on words. And how fun to have a go with all the different artists tools.. great one for exploring everything! LOVE IT! When Red TEd is older, we will have a go to!!!!!

Unknown said...

OK- I know this makes me a "bad parent", but I probably would enjoy this book MORE than the kids BECAUSE of its humor!

So fun!

Kelly said...

How terrible is it that it even made me giggle? Nice work on the craft project.

phasejumper said...

Love the freedom this project gives-would be good to get me out of my one medium or one skill mindset. Thanks for sharing!

Brimful Curiosities said...

Why potty humor appeals to the kids I just don't understand, but it sure does. An out of hand art supply party sounds like a ton of fun and your version is splendid.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I don't think Anna would get "runs" or even "butt" unless I explain it to her. The book looks like an absolute winner, and I am putting it on my list right away!

Kylie said...

That book sounds funny, kina heheh. I do enjoy Art Picture books. :)

Debbie said...

I have an award for you at my blog!

Unknown said...

The book sounds wonderful. I love how she used it as a reference when she did her work.

Joy @ Joy Of Desserts said...

I blogged about the award you gave me. Thank you so much. It's at this link:
http://joyofdesserts.blogspot.com/2010/06/new-award-and-find-friend-friday.html

Jenny said...

I think this looks like a fun book - "imaginative chaos" - what's not to love about that? I did giggle when I read that you wrote "butt."

Charlene Juliani said...

Looks like a cute project!