Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Happy Birthday Canada!


Photobucket


I was going to save this craft for tomorrow's Canada Day, but we were stuck inside this morning by thunderstorms, so we plunged ahead.

I gave the children a pile of magazines, and ask them to cut out all the red, and white pictures they could find.


They glued them to two separate sheets of paper, to make white, and red collages.


Then, I gave them a cookie cutter to trace, and cut out a maple leaf from the red collage.


I trimmed off the leaf section, and folded the rest in half, so they could cut it into two red strips.


Finally, they glued all the pieces together, to make a Canadian flag (sort of).



If nothing else, after searching through the magazines for all the interesting bits of red, and white, I doubt they'll ever forget the colors of Canada's flag.



It's great to be a homeschooler.

Oh, and for more geography and history related projects, check out the Geography/History blog hop, hosted by Debbie at Children Grow, Children Learn, Children Explore.


9 comments:

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

What a neat idea - I think the flag turned out perfectly well.

Ticia said...

That's a very cool idea!

Debbie said...

This is so neat! I love how the Canadian flag turned out!

Christy Killoran said...

I think the flag looks great. Fantastic idea!

Michelle said...

That looks amazing!

Phyllis said...

Very cool. I have seen this type of thing done before, but this one is particularly well executed. Excellent job!

Leah Courtney said...

You always have great crafts! I passed a blog award on to you. :-)

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Ooh this is great! I've been looking all over for Canada Day crafts and this one is fantastic! Thanks so much, I'll be linking.

Kristen said...

Hi, I featured you on my blog. I hope thats ok. Here is the link.

http://culturecottage.blogspot.com/