Monday, June 28, 2010

Sidewalk Water Balloon Firework Paint Splatters


We had a blast this morning making firework designs on our driveway, with water balloons full of homemade sidewalk paint (click here, if you're just interesting in plain old, homemade, sidewalk paint).

First off, I took normal water balloons, and using a cake decorating tip, as a funnel, spooned in about 1/4 teaspoon of corn starch for each balloon. I used a toothpick, to help move the corn starch into the balloons. Then I added a few drops of few coloring to each balloon, as well.


After that, I took them outside, and filled them with water as normal.

The kids, dressed in play clothes, threw them up into air, and then ran out of the way, as the balloons splatted down.


Pretty cool!

We did get some splatter on our clothes, which potentially could stain, but overall it was a pretty mess free project, considering.

As for the driveway, once the splatters dried, they faded to a very light, sidewalk chalk kind of look (light enough I couldn't get good pictures of them), which washed away with the hose. I would suggest using more corn starch, and food coloring, if you want them to show up well, and stick around for a little while longer after they dry. And, make plenty, because this is an "Again! Again!" sort of activity.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

5 comments:

Christy Killoran said...

My kids will LOVE this!

Ticia said...

way cool! I'm so remembering this for later.

Debbie said...

This looks like so much fun! I am remembering this one for when we get a nice day again.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I wish my husband was more inclined to "ruin" our ugly driveway with stains. I had to fight with him for chalk drawings. Still - way cool.

Pebblekeeper ~ Angie said...

How fun! A friend shared the link on facebook so we came over to check it out. :) My husband calls us "some schoolers". :) Thanks for sharing!