Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Preschool Firework Painting


We had perfect, outside art, weather this morning, so I seized the opportunity to try some messy paint techniques I thought would work for firework paintings, with the little ones.


We started with blue construction paper for the evening sky.

Then, we glued on zigzagged pieces of black construction paper, to suggest a mountain silhouette (if you live in the city, you could make a blocky sort of building silhouette instead).

The girls added groups of star stickers...

...with glitter paint tails.


Then, we attempted to add some paint splatters in different colors, to look like exploding fireworks, by tapping paint laden brushes over our paper. I was very glad we were using washable paint, because the paint splattered up, more than down, so we ended up wearing quite a bit of it.

When some of our splatters ended up bigger than we wanted, I ran in to the kitchen to get straws, so the girls could blow on them, and splatter them out. It's a technique I saw demonstrated, just this morning, on Superheros and Princesses. And, while we didn't have much better luck with it, than they did, the girls loved spreading the paint with the straws.


It's great to be a homeschooler.

6 comments:

Catherine Anne said...

Wonderful to meet you. I too have a little homeschool but also have alot of unschool~ Beautiful blog and family. Catherne

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

The results a very spectacular. I have a question though - is glitter paint the same as glitter glue? I looked, but I never saw glitter paint in the stores.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Natalie - Glitter glue, and paint are different, but for this project I think glitter glue would be even better, because the paint is a little runny. For small hands, it might be even easier to make lines of glue, and let them sprinkle the glitter on - I just don't generally keep glitter in the house :)

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

We did a project that involved glitter glue yesterday, and Anna dumped half a tube on the unfortunate windsock before I could stop her. Both of us were covered in glitter glue, and I had to stop the project for emergency clean up. I think in our case glitter paint would have worked much better.

Christy Killoran said...

I love the mountains and the stars in the sky - very pretty background. I had such high hopes for our fireworks painting and was disappointed with the final product, but Collin thought the whole thing was fantastic so maybe I stress out WAY too much over things like this!

Ticia said...

we're sadly not going to get any fun crafts done this year with going out of town right now, but that is really cute and fun looking.