Saturday, July 18, 2009

Homemade Icees

I've always been a big fan of icees, and slurpies. The part of Montana we live in though, is a bit sparse when it comes to flavor choices for these icy delights. There's Mountain Dew, blue raspberry, and little else. I don't know why it never occurred to me that we could make them ourselves, but it turns out to be an extremely easy process.

I mixed up a batch of strawberry syrup, using strawberries picked from our yard, yesterday. My plan was to chill it overnight, and then use it to make snow cones for the kids today. But, a snow cone isn't really a snow cone without the drippy paper cup, leaking syrup all over you. So, I decided to take another route altogether.

Instead chopping the ice, and then pouring the syrup over it, I threw the ice (about 3 cups), and syrup (about 2 cups), together into the blender, and blended it to a fine consistency. It made perfect icees. The only thing missing, was the long spoon/straw thingy to drink it with.

Just in case your wondering, I did try it with soda pop too, but the blender made it a little too frothy. However, with an almost endless variety of fruits, and berries to turn into syrups, I don't think we're going to be lacking in the choice department for flavoring our slurpies, for a while.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yum. my favorite flavor was always cherry.