Saturday, June 28, 2014

Summer Fun 2014 - Making Mosaic Minecraft Creeper Cookies



I've been wanting to do some kind of cookie mosaic project with the children, since Phyllis at All Things Beautiful, posted a very inspiring mosaic round-up, back in May.   This morning, I finally got around to mixing up a batch of sugar cookie dough (click here for the recipe), and started in on the tedious task of rolling, and cutting out the tiny tiles we would need.

Actually, it worked out quite well.  One of my girlfriends from Oregon called, and we chatted away, while I sipped coffee, rolled dough, cut squares, and baked up the cookies.  By the time I was all caught up on the "news" from home, I had a batch of cookie tiles cooling on the counter.

With a Minecraft theme in mind (because Minecraft lends itself nicely to mosaic patterns, and is something all the children are into), I set 1/3 of the batch of sugar cookie dough aside for 8cm x 8cm base cookies (made with this set aside dough, and the scraps left over from the mosaic tiles).  For the tiles, I added a tablespoon, or so, of dark cocoa powder to 1/6 of the rest of the dough, rolling it out about 1 cm thick, and using a pizza cutter to slice it into 1cm squares (more or less).


I added a drop of green food coloring to the remaining dough, rolled and cut out about 80 little squares (the small tiles baked for 10-12 minutes at 350° F, while the larger squares baked for 13 minutes at the same temperature).
  

For each 80 to 100 squares, I added another couple of drops of green food coloring, until I had a nice assortment of greens, and chocolatey black tiles to go with a blop of frosting, and a base cookie for each child....

...to frost and puzzle out...


...their own cookie mosaic...


...versions of a...


...a Minecraft creeper face.


The "tiles" weren't all even, so creating the patterns was a challenge, but...


...a fun, and tasty challenge.


6 comments:

Desiree said...

Another fun cookie creation! how fun!

claireshomeeducation said...

These are fabulous! I never would have thought to do that made out of cookie dough. At first I thought the coloured tiles were coloured mini marshmallows. I can not believe you mixed, rolled and cut them out from scratch. You are a better woman that I!!

MaryAnne said...

I thought they were marshmallows at first too! We haven't played minecraft, but my kids would love this.

Jeanette Nyberg said...

Oh no! My daughter is going to love this so much, and now I'm already half-committed in my mind to make all those tiny cookie tiles. These are fantastic!

Ticia said...

Wow rolling out and cutting up all of those little cookies is just awe-inspiring to me. Probably because my baking skills are just not that great.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Ticia - It's just "vip, vip, vip" with a pizza cutter - time consuming, but not difficult.