Monday, June 16, 2014

Small Castle Cake


C's birthday turned out to be another gloomy, stuck inside, rainy day.  I packed away the bubbles, and outdoor games for another time, and made a run with the birthday girl to the video store, where it just so happened, all the Disney movies were on a free-for-the-day rental deal.  C picked out Sleeping Beauty and Little Mermaid, both new to her, and while the girls snuggled down to watch the movies I decided to see what could be done about a cake.

I had a sheet cake stuck overnight in the freezer, ready to be pulled out and frosted.  We weren't really planning a party - just cake, ice cream, and a few presents with the siblings.  My original plan was to slap a layer of frosting across the top, pipe on a birthday wish, stick in a few candles, and call it good.

Instead, I cut and removed a third of the cake, reserving it for later...


...and cut the remaining cake in half lengthwise...


...to layer together, and frost on a cookie sheet.


The results were a little lopsided, but my plan was to fix the effect with corner towers...


...cut form the reserved third of the cake.  Unfortunately, I forgot to stick that piece back into the freezer while I was frosting, so by the time I was ready to cut out the squares, the cake had thawed enough to make frosting the cut edges next to impossible.


Normally, I would have just placed the cut squares back into the freezer for an hour or two, until they were solid enough to frost.  I didn't have time for that today, so I switched to a plan B, and went with marshmallows instead.


The marshmallows were easy to frost, but not quite the squared off, castle wall shape, I was thinking of.  Still, with Little Mermaid playing in the background, I decided the coral-like shapes might be okay.


I loaded a Ziploc baggie with the purple frosting, and piped on a few details.  It looked a little like a Flinstone's house to me...


...so I added a blue sugar moat, and four quickly made tissue paper, and toothpick flags for good measure.


It was still lopsided, but better than sheet cake on a rainy day.

4 comments:

Sheltie Times said...

Looks adorable.

MaryAnne said...

Cute cake! I like marshmallows better than cake, anyway.

Phyllis said...

I know that she loved it. It is adorable!!

Ticia said...

It's super cute. One thing I appreciate about your decorations, that I feel like I could actually accomplish them if I tried, they're cute AND doable.

I'd love marshmallows on top of my cake.