Thursday, March 29, 2012

"Watch and Pray" - Garden of Gethsemane Craft


I found a cute, and very simple, garden craft from Creative Nanny, that proved easily adapted to a Garden of Gethsemane theme, for the younger girls (ages 5 and 7).

I pre-glued seven craft sticks together, for each girl, to resemble a picket fence, and then printed "Watch and pray...Matt. 26:41", across them (E did her own printing). They are some of the words Jesus spoke to Peter, John, and James when they couldn't seem to stay awake, while He was praying.


The girls decorated their fences with flower, and ladybug stickers, and three sets of wide awake, google eyes - one for each of the sleepy disciples.


When they were done, all that was left was to help them twist on a pipe cleaner hanger, as shown, and help them find a good place to hang them, as reminders to ourselves of Christ's admonition to His disciples, and ultimately to us as well.


Matthew 26:39-41

39 Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, “My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will.”

40 Then he returned to his disciples and found them sleeping. “Couldn’t you men keep watch with me for one hour?” he asked Peter.

41 “Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.”


It's great to be a homeschoolers.

5 comments:

Phyllis said...

A good reminder!!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

This is a great craft. Is it terrible that I keep thinking about Jesus Christ Super Star as a great summary of Passion Week? Garden of Gethsemane is one of my favorite songs from that musical.

Ticia said...

What a cute idea! I am going to be using so many of these once I'm a little more organized next week. Or, that's my hope......

Leah said...

Thanks for this! I oversee the children's church program at my church and as our lessons lead up to Easter I was looking for a simple, meaningful craft for them to do this week. I think this is it!

Anonymous said...

This is great. Thank you!