Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Stick "Horse" Donkey - Triumphal Entry Craft



Matthew 21
1 As they approached Jerusalem and came to Bethphage on the Mount of Olives, Jesus sent two disciples,
2 saying to them, “Go to the village ahead of you, and at once you will find a donkey tied there, with her colt by her. Untie them and bring them to me.
3 If anyone says anything to you, say that the Lord needs them, and he will send them right away.”


We needed a quick stick horse donkey prop this morning, so borrowing a stick horse idea from a Saddle and Spurs children's event we attended a couple of years ago, I found a donkey coloring sheet online. I used one from here, but any side view donkey would do.

I saved the picture to my computer, and then used the Paint program to crop away the body, and save a second image flipped horizontally.

I printed the two pictures for the girls to color and cut out...


...and while they were working I flattened, and stapled one end of a cardboard tube - the kind wrapping paper comes on.


After trimming the two donkey heads, so their edges matched up, we glued them together around the edges, except for the bottom, so we could slip the tube in, and then staple it in place, through the coloring sheets.


I reinforced the glued edges, with a staple here and there, and then added a piece of twine, tied around the neck, and taped in place to keep it from slipping down, so the colt could be tied up, ready for the two disciples to find and untie.


It's great to be a homeschooler.

4 comments:

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I bet D liked this idea a lot. He looks very excited!

Ticia said...

I'm impressed you have a wrapping paper roll that is in good enough shape to do this.

A fun way to act out the story, I'm loving your series!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Ticia - It ought to be in good shape, I just pulled all the wrapping paper off of it this morning :)

Phyllis said...

You are really enjoying Easter week crafts this year.