Sunday, March 11, 2012

Fruity Rainbow "Ice Cream" Cake


I had quite a bit of smoothie mix (click the link for the "recipe") left over after our "welcome spring", first of March, rainbow smoothies.

It seemed a shame to waste it, so instead, after I had layered the fruit into each of our glasses (I made eight smoothies), I layered what was left into a 2.5 liter mixing bowl, to freeze for later.


The cream in each layer, along with the blending, gave it a somewhat ice creamy like texture (somewhere between sorbet and ice cream), that worked perfectly for an ice cream -type cake.

So, when we were ready for another rainbowy treat this weekend, I simply removed the bowl from the freezer, and dipped the outside of it into warm water to release the "cake" from the bowl, before turning it upside down on a plate, and allowing it enough time to thaw (about 20 minutes) until it was soft enough to cut, and serve...


...with whipped cream.


It's great to be a homeschooler.

4 comments:

Christy Killoran said...

Nice idea, looks yummy.

Phyllis said...

Beautiful and yummy, I bet.

Ticia said...

Ooohhhh, that would be super yummy. I need to give that a try.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I bet everyone loved it.