Monday, March 26, 2012

Simple Easter Timeline Activity for Children

I'm hoping, this week, to be crafting through the "Holy Week" with the younger children. First though, I want to make sure they have the order of events clear in their minds.

So, today I have Joanne Larrison's The Week That Led to Easter, to read to them. It's another Arch Book (Amazon is running a buy-3-get-1-free on them, and I couldn't resist filling in our library a little).

This one summarizes the events from Matthew 21:1 - 28:10, Mark 11:1-16:8, Luke 19:29-24:12, and John 12:12-20:10, in an easy rhyming text, at about a third grade reading level, for children ages 5-9.



To go along with the story, I scanned some of the illustrations from the book, so I could trim and print them, as 3.5"x 5" cards ("laminated" with contact paper), for the children to put in order after we read the story, and in a thumbprint size, to glue right to our calendar, in timeline fashion.


If you want to do something similar, but without all the fuss of scanning and printing images, BibleStoryPrintables.com has a set of images depicting the events of Easter week, free and ready for printing.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

4 comments:

Laura @ House Of Joyful Noise said...

It IS great to be a homeschooler! :) My kids are a little old for this activity now, but it was just the kind of thing I would have loved doing with them not long ago! Every year, we all love the process of Holy Week a little more, and it always makes Easter that much more joyful, because our hearts and minds were so present and invested, in the week that led to Easter. Enjoy yours!

Debbie said...

I love this idea. I've been thinking about ways to create sequencing of stories, your timeline idea would work for just about any type of story.

Ticia said...

Back when I was teaching I used to do this all the time. I need to dig up all of that stuff again.

I'm heading to my local bookstore to see if there's any tempting Arch books......

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

It sounds like a fun activity, and the book looks very tempting :)