Saturday, January 21, 2012

Our Penguin Party


The decor for our party was very simple. Besides the penguin tablecloth with built in place mats, there was just the presents...


...wrapped as construction paper penguins...



...and a painted penguin, taped to the wall...


...for a game of Pin the Bow Tie on the Penguin.


Instead of a large pinata, I made individual sized "penguin eggs" (much like the dinosaur eggs I made for the children previously)...


...each filled with a sheet of penguin stickers, a penguin themed gummy fruit snack, and a hand sewn penguin bean bag.


The children had to waddle across the room penguin-style to the eggs, and then carry them back across the room on their feet, before opening them.


Then, they used the bean bags to toss...


...at ice blocks (squares of felt)...


...worth various amounts of points.


Finally, we played a rousing game of penguin bowling...


...knocking down painted pop bottle penguins with a rolled up sock "snowball"...


...and blew toilet paper roll penguins down the ice slide (a strip of freezer paper), to see whose penguin could make it the farthest without going off the edge of the ice.


While waiting for the cake, the children also used the painted cup penguins place markers, turning them to the black back sides, so the names weren't showing, for shell type games of find the egg, or M&M as it was in our case.

The cake was made by starting out with two 9'' cake rounds, and cutting one as pictured.


Both were popped into the freezer for a few hours for easier frosting (it keeps the cut edges from crumbling when you frost them). Then, the uncut cake round was frosted, with a well whipped butter cream frosting...


And, some of the cut pieces were stacked on top, and frosted one by one, in a stair stepish pattern.



A melted, and cooled, Jolly Rancher (blue raspberry) was placed into the frosting to resemble water.


The whole thing was sprinkled with powdered sugar...


...and finished off with a Tube of Penguins from Safari Ltd, which served as one last present.


It's great to be a homeschooler.

20 comments:

sarah in the woods said...

What a fun and creative day! I like your welcome rocks too.

Little Wonders' Days said...

This is a great party! I love your cake and all the fun you had.

Christy Killoran said...

Amazing! I love the cake!

Shonni said...

That is absolutely one of the most adorable birthdays I have ever seen.

Annette W. said...

You are brilliant!

Phyllis said...

What a great party! I love the penguins sliding down the cake!

Unknown said...

Love it! What a great party!

Unknown said...

I LOVE that your parties are so creative, and that you do them with JUST your family members...simple and celebratory...

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Wonder Mom - I thought about inviting friends this time, but we have a flu working its way through town that interfered.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

This is terrific. You really outdid yourself this time - so many great ideas here. I love that your oldest join all the games.

Unknown said...

Beyond awesome. So many incredible ideas!

Debbie said...

I love it all!

Ticia said...

Wonderful I want to come

Kim @ The Learning Hypothesis said...

I am actually in the mist of planning a penguin party. Thanks for these great ideas!

artsy_momma said...

My son loves penguin everything! The party turned out so cute- love the cake. Thank you so much for the link back to my blog :)

Brimful Curiosities said...

Individual pinatas! Such a great idea. I'm borrowing it for my daughter's upcoming party. I do hate those big pinatas.

Anonymous said...

This makes me miss homeschooling. I'll have to have a penguin party at the weekend instead!

Emily said...

I love penguins, and all your ideas here were so cute. Whose birthday was it for?

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

It was D's - my younger son. He loves the ocean and birds, so when we realized it was right around Penguin Awareness Day - it just seemed to fit.

Amanda said...

Love all the activities! Thanks for the link back too to our Penguin bottle :) So love the use of a snowball as the bowling ball. The other games look like so much fun!!!