Monday, January 9, 2012

Chocolate and Peanut Butter - Fluffernutter Playdough

I made up a quick batch of fluffernutter dough, edible peanut butter and marshmallow playdough, as a snacktivity to go along with our growing peanut plants.


Really, I just had to see for myself, if you can mix two things as sticky, and messy as peanut butter and marshmallow cream, together...


...and end up with a pliable, pleasant playdough. It turns out that you can.


And, when you put it together with chocolate playdough, or tootsie roll dough as we like to call it (a half batch is just right), it's pure snack time, boredom buster, genius.


I was thinking we'd make something educational, like maybe Fibonacci inspired flowers.


The children had other plans, though.



But, I'll get them back, because there's actually a short science lesson to go along with the recipe for the fluffernutter dough at Homeschool Science Tools. If you're interested in playdough science, you might want to check it out, there is also a recipe for adding gelatin to the everyday cream of tartar, cooked playdough recipe. And, for even more science themed, playdough ideas, check out this link courtesy of The Learning Hypothesis.


Oh, and for those of you who want to know, this is what our peanut plants look like, today.


It's great to be a homeschooler.

10 comments:

Maureensk said...

Chocolate and peanut butter...how could you go wrong? :-) Thanks for the recipes!

Phyllis said...

My boys just looked over my shoulder and saw this post and wanted to know if they could do this tonight. Since it is already 15 minutes past their bedtime, I told them, "no" but obviously they want it on our list of things to do.

Jill said...

That's so funny! My step-father is from Maine and he makes fluffernutter sandwiches for the littles. I thought this was something he made up.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Edible playdough! Looks so yummy! Was it really messy to work with?

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Raising a Happy Child - No, it was amazingly clean. If you mixed the two doughs together they would stick to each other, but not to hands or plates. And, the Fluffernutter dough is really light and fluffy - I'm not usually a huge fan of edible playdough - but this stuff was really neat. The only slight downer is the fluffernutter dough doesn't hold its shape super well - it does for a while, but not as well as regular playdough.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Jill - That is very funny! I'd never heard of the stuff before. It was fun to play with, and eat in little pieces, but I'm not sure I'd want a whole sandwich worth - my children might think differently though :)

Debbie said...

Now I could really go for chocolate and peanut butter.

Ticia said...

Hmmmm......... making edible play dough has long been on my list of things to do. Maybe today or tomorrow.

Oh wait, I need more peanut butter first probably.

Christianne @ Little Page Turners said...

E sprouted a peanut last year in school. It loved my windowsill but died as soon as I transplanted it. Ironic since I live near the self-proclaimed peanut capital of the world. :) Can't wait to try the play dough!

Time Lady said...

I have been looking for a dairy free edible playdough all year and the peanut butter one is perfect! Thanks so much. I will have to try it really soon!