Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Lemon Snow Ice

I had just barely placed our welcome rock penguins outside yesterday, when the snow starting falling...


...and falling, and is still falling. It's a pity I didn't wait to seal the rocks with a clear coat. I'm afraid the washable paint we used isn't going to hold up in the snow. Of course, they can always be repainted, that's half the fun of welcome rocks.


But, that will have to wait for another day, when the children have grown tired of snow, and decided to come back inside. I saw them briefly at breakfast, and lunch, and when I stepped outside to hand them a few cut lemons, and a baggie full of sugar for making lemon ices, like those in Andra Cheng's The Lemon Sisters.


Despite the title, the story is one of the sweetest I've read in a long time, so sweet in fact, I had a difficult time reading it aloud to the girls at breakfast, without bursting into tears. I read it to the girls, and not the boys, because it's a story about sisters, old and young, in different seasons of life, passing on memories, and making new ones, on a beautiful snowy day.

And, it includes a simple recipe for delicious lemon ice. Once the girls discovered the lemon juice mixed with sugar was not enough to turn the snow "yellow", they were all over it. They even made one for me.


A layer of snow, clean snow of course, fresh squeezed lemon juice, topped with sugar, and a little more snow is pretty good. But, when mixed by sisters, working together in winter harmony, it's memory making perfection.


It's great to be a homeschooler.

Linked with Watcha Making Wednesdays at The Ramblings and Adventures of a S.A.H.M.

9 comments:

Ticia said...

The book sounds cute. I don't think well do that anytime soon as I look at the temperature of 59

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

This sounds like a great book. I am glad you finally got snow - hopefully it means no drought in the summer for all of us!

Stephanie said...

This looks like so much fun. I never thought of lemon ice before. I'm sorry about the penguins -- I hope they turn out to be O.K. They are super cute.

Joyful Learner said...

The penguins made me smile. So cute.

Phyllis said...

We are still waiting for our snow. The book and the recipe sound great. I will have to get the book and wait for snow.

Jill said...

Love this idea. I have two year old twin girls and I can't wait until they can do things like this together. You're doing a great job helping to make great memories for your kids!!!

Pebblekeeper ~ Angie said...

The penguins made me smile, glad to see they got to play in the snow. Lemon Ice looks yum too!

Brimful Curiosities said...

I think that storm is headed our way. I've never heard of making lemon ice out of snow. Maybe we'll give it a try.

sbswtp said...

I love those penguins... so super cute :-) Thank you for linking up!!! What a fun winter recipe idea.... no snow here yet (NY).... but maybe before spring...