Monday, December 12, 2011

Pretzel Stick Stars

Brimful Curiosities posted a tutorial for a simple, but beautiful, star twig ornament the other day, and I couldn't help but think - what a great idea for a Christmas snack. Of course, you have to substitute pretzels for the twigs, and melted peanut butter chips for the hot glue, but other than that the concept is pretty much the same.


Melt a quarter of a cup, or so, of peanut butter chips in the microwave for 30 seconds. Then, give them a stir...


...and spoon them into a Ziploc-type baggie. Snip of the corner of the bag, and you're ready to start piping it on...


...as you arrange the pretzel sticks...


...on top of wax paper...


...into star shapes.


Give them a minute or two to set up...


...and they're sturdy enough to pick up, and admire. You could probably even add a ribbon, and hang them on the tree.



But, we suggest eating them.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

11 comments:

Ticia said...

I'm thinking that mixing up some ingredients would make these significantly less tasty.....

Phyllis said...

Those are so cute. I bet they are tasty, too, although I would prefer chcolate.

Unknown said...

What a star-studded snack!

Joyful Learner said...

I'm running out and buying some gluten free pretzel sticks and sunbutter! Great snacktivity!

Debbie said...

Those are so cute. Selena has never had pretzels that I know of, I should try these and see if she likes them. I guess you know Papa and I are not pretzel eaters by this comment.

Christy Killoran said...

Fantastic!

This will be our after school snack today, but maybe with chocolate chips!

Pebblekeeper ~ Angie said...

So glad to have you in my reader - changing twigs to pretzels. Hot glue to peanut butter chips. Must be feeling mushy this morning - (and hungry) - so I'll pause this holiday season and say how much your posts bless my mornings! Loved the tangagrams post as well. Blessings to your family in New Year!

Jackie Higgins said...

Cool! I loved those twigs too, but the pretzels do look yummy!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Definitely tastier than twigs!

Brimful Curiosities said...

Great idea to turn the twig stars into pretzel stars! Now that I have a little more time, I'm going to try it with the kids. Did your kids have any problems with star construction? I know that making stars was beyond my daughter's ability just yet.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Brimful Curiosities - I just noticed I have the pictures out of order above - but we put our stars together as a capital A with a small x on top - that seemed to help the kids. Thanks for the inspiration!