Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Picture Books with Latke Recipes Included

Looking for a good, child friendly, latke recipe for Hanukkah? There's more than enough recipes included in the picture books below to fill all eight nights of the holiday, and then some. Links on the book titles, when present, will take you to the authors', or another, website, where you can view the recipe for yourself, if you find all the books already checked out at your local library.

Malke's Secret Recipe by David A. Adler


The Runaway Latkes by Leslie Kimmelman


I Have a Little Dreidel by Maxie Baum. This book also includes instructions for playing Dreidel, and sheet music for the Dreidel Song. The entire text can be sung to the tune of the song.


Inside-Out Grandma, A Hanukkah Story by Joan Rothenberg.


The Very Best Hanukkah Gift by Joanne Rocklin. This one contains a recipe for zucchini latkes (you have to page down a bit on the website I linked, to view the recipe, but it's there, and listed with the book title).


It's Hanukkah Time! by Latifa Berry Kropf, contains a recipe for Sufganiyot (donuts) instead of Latkes, but since I don't have a separate "books with donut recipes" list, I decided to include it here.


The Borrowed Hanukkah Latkes by Linda Glaser. Click here, for a review of this book, and a tip or two for making latkes, from Mouse Grows, Mouse Learns.


Latkes, Latkes Good to Eat, a Chanukah Story by Naomi Howland.


Lots of Latkes a Hanukkah Story by Sandy Lanton.


Latkes and Applesauce, A Hanukkah Story by Fran Manushkin. This book also contains rules for playing Dreidel. Both the rules, and the recipe can be viewed in Amazon's "Look Inside This Book" feature, here, by typing "recipe" in the search box.


It's great to be a homeschooler.

4 comments:

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Wow, this is quite a round-up. This year I followed up my mom's tip and grated potatoes in Magic Bullet with one egg and one slice of onion. 3 big Magic Bullet cups of that, 4 TBS of flour, 1 tsp of salt, and I was ready to feed 4 big latke lovers and one mini-lover. They turned out really well!

Christy Killoran said...

We love the Runaway Latkes. Maybe next year I will try to make latkes. We are hosting over 50 people for Christmas this year so we have been busy preparing and haven't had a chance to do anything for Hanukkah. Plus, R and K have been sick.

If I don't get back here before Christmas, I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!

Ticia said...

I pinned this so I can remember to look back for next year!

Despite my attempts to be organized this year, I still did not get all I wanted done......

Phyllis said...

I wish my family liked latkes more. After several years of making them, we hit upon the idea of making donuts instead...anything fried in oil is okay for Hanukkah. They are much better received! They look like a great round-up of Hanukkah books, however.