Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Pine Cone Candy Corn


Sadly, our goldfish died over the weekend.


Don't worry, that's not a picture of him "floating", just one of the few shots I could find of him in the background of another picture. We didn't take a lot of photos of him, because...well...he was a goldfish. Other than for a few incidences of leaping suicidally from his bowl, he wasn't very exciting.

Still after five and half years on our mantel, his absence has left an empty spot.


We discussed buying another fish, but the children felt it would be disrespectful to the memory of their pet to replace him so quickly. It will be the Christmas season soon, and we'll inevitably have some decoration to stick up there anyway.

In the meantime, I thought maybe a few of the pine cones we had left over from the bats might do the trick.


They were alright in a woodsy, Montana kind of way, just lacking a little paint...


...to give them that festive touch.


I have mentioned that National Candy Corn Day is just around the corner, right?

It's great to be a homeschooler.

9 comments:

Christy Killoran said...

I love all of the candy corn stuff you do - fun!

Sorry about your fish.

Annette W. said...

Cute.

I had a fish that tried to commit suicide, too. Didn't know it was so common.

Debbie said...

This sounds like a silly request...Will you please send me some pine cones? Kidding aside. I love this. I do however miss the beauty of a nice size pine cone to decorate.

Brimful Curiosities said...

Poor fish. It does look as though he had a lovely spot to live out his life though.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Sorry about your fish, but five years is a long life for it. Candy pine cones look great!

Christianne @ Little Page Turners said...

I was "this" close to making your pinecone bats today, but I didn't have black paint. The candy corn is cute! And seriously, anyone who needs pinecones is more than welcome to pick them out of my yard!

Gidget said...

Another great idea - you give such great pictures and descriptions! Which is exactly why I nominated you for the Best Crafts, Plans, and Project Blog for the Homeschool Blog Awards :)

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Gidget - Thanks!

phasejumper said...

So sorry to hear about your pet. Pinned your pine cones!