Monday, October 24, 2011

Candy Corn Addition and Simple Spelling

I spent some time yesterday, cutting candy corn pieces out of construction paper, using a template I freehanded onto cardboard. Luckily candy corn are pretty easy shapes to draw.


I used the construction paper pieces to prepare some simple math and spelling for today, by printing out addition problems on one side of the pieces...


...and letters on the other for making up three and four letter words with vowels in the middle, and consonants with a few blends thrown in on the top and bottom pieces.


I scattered the pieces, letter sides up, across the table...


...for the children to piece together over and over...


...forming various words, to their hearts' content.


For the addition work, which was really more for E (age 6) and C (age 5), I placed the pieces out to form the problems, and had them locate the matching answers from the pile.


Of course, once I pulled out the bowl of actual candy corn to use as manipulatives...


...their older brother was pretty quick to volunteer his tutoring services.


It's great to be a homeschooler.

5 comments:

Elle Belles Bows said...

Love the candy corn spelling! Great idea!

Kerri

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Candy corn manipulatives? Who wouldn't want to be a tutor!

Jackie Higgins said...

I just made candy corn cut outs last night but I put capital/lowercase letters on them and then we are adding inital consonant sound pictures to the top of the candy corn. I love your addition and word work. I also love using the candy corn as a manipulative. Great idea. I'll have to figure a way to use that for my early math.

Ticia said...

I can just imagine how few there were left by the time the math lesson was done........

Love the candy corn math problems.

Phyllis said...

How cute!