Friday, May 13, 2011

Lost Posts - Ed Emberley's Picture Pie

Since only our posts on Ed Emberley's Picture Pie, A Circle Drawing Book, seem to have been lost in Blogger's recent difficulties, I thought I'd post a quick summary of our activities inspired by the book, rather than mess with back-ups, and the like.

First off, we created several of the animal, and flower designs...


...cutting paper we'd dyed with natural dyes...


...made from an assortment of dandelion, hyacinth, and strawberries, steeped in boiling water, and then strained, to give us the dye...


...while following Meyamo instructions, for powder sugar based paint (click the link for instructions)...


...which turned out to be like painting with frosting - interesting, but very messy.


Then, we carried the fun into snack time, by rolling...


...and cutting a batch of sugar cookie dough (click the link for the recipe) into circles, with a glass...


...to be cut into halves, and fourths, with a butter knife...


...and arranged into some of the geometric designs from the book...


...before baking...


...for a fun, and yummy math/art lesson.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

3 comments:

Christy Killoran said...

I read that Blogger is working on restoring the posts; I hope so because I lost two posts plus one that I had scheduled. I have learned a lesson - it's time to write and save my posts in Live Writer like so many other people do.

I love what you did. Ed Emberley is wonderful!

Annette W. said...

I'm still hoping my lost post from yesterday PLUS the draft of three book reviews come back. UGH!

Joyful Learner said...

You're so good! I don't think I can rewrite all the things I wrote in the lost posts. Oh well.