Monday, May 30, 2011

Colander Sewing Practice


We woke up to 34 degrees, and a slushy rain, today. Needless to say, we won't be going out to any Memorial Day services, or parades. Instead, I found myself pulling out my two colanders, a couple of balls of yarn, and our blunt end, child safe, plastic needles, for a little impromptu, boredom buster, sewing practice.

Why colanders?


Well, because I have two colanders, and two little girls. The colanders have pre-punched holes, big enough for the chunky needles to fit through. And, I don't currently have any of that grape bag type mesh, which is also good for beginning sewing practice.


I threaded each needle with a nice long piece of yarn, knotted at one end, and pulled it through the first hole for the girls.


Then, I set them stitching the thread, in and out of the holes.


E (age 6), took right off, without much supervision, but C (age 4), needed more help, to figure the right hole, and direction to pass the yarn through, and how to keep the yarn on the needle, as she pulled her stitches tight.


Once they got going, they looked so cute, stitching and chatting away - just like an old fashioned sewing bee.


They kept at the task for quite a while this morning, E's interest lasting longer than C's. Though, both girls were happy to discover, that pulling the yarn back out of the colanders, one stitch at a time, was even more fun than the sewing it in.


It's great to be a homeschooler.

9 comments:

Christy Killoran said...

I have to do this with R. She is always asking to learn to sew and I had no idea where to begin (I can't sew). Now I know!

Ticia said...

Inever thought to use colanders. Love that idea

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I can't believe your weather - ugh! My goal is to teach daughter simple sewing between 5 and 6. So far we also tried stitching on a plastic grid, but her interest didn't last long at all.

Phyllis said...

34 degrees????? Oh, my! Here we are sweating in 93 degrees!
I have heard about colanders for sewing, but not before my boys were too old for it. Sounds like a great idea.

Elise said...

This is a great idea that I will keep in mind. Gotta love an idea where you have the materials on hand, it's simple to put togehter and is fun.

Debbie said...

All weekend after reading this I kept looking for my yarn needle to put Selena to work, to get rid of the boredom from the cloudy weather. I guess I need to buy another one next time I am out.

Unknown said...

What a GREAT idea...

Tanya Boyle said...

just the most simple idea for such a complex skill to learn. AWESOME!

Kim said...

Oh my gosh, what a great and simple idea! I've never thought of having my littlest one sewing with a colander, but she'd love it (anything to bust the boredom!).