Friday, September 4, 2015

Edible Pine Cone Owl Snacktivity



The girls came in from playing in the rain last night, bedraggled but invigorated, and ready for a snack.


I decided it would be good time to try making edible pine cone owls.  We've made plane old pine cone owls before, of course, but now that the girls (ages 9 and 10) are getting older, they are ready for greater challenges.

First I showed them how to make edible pine cones following instructions from Handmade Charlotte, using pretzel sticks, Chocolate Toast Crunch cereal (our substitution for the Chocolate Fiber One cereal from the original recipe), and Nutella and peanut butter dough (click the link for the recipe and instructions).


Once we had our pine cones constructed, we let them firm up a little in the fridge (the dough gets soft when handled), while we prepared our owl making supplies - using...


...mini Oreo and Reese's Pieces for eyes...


...chocolate Tootsie Rolls squished and trimmed, with kitchen scissors, for wings...


...and orange and lemon Tootsie Rolls, also flattened and trimmed, for the beak and feet.


All of which...


...we carefully stuck to our pine cones...


...with small blobs of the left over dough.


Naturally, by the time the girls had finished crafting their owls, and a few extra pine cones (they are so much fun to make), they (along with their older sibs) had consumed enough pretzels, cereal, candy, and dough, that we decided to save their snacks for later.


We have a stormy weekend forecast, so there should be plenty of opportunity for working up appetites, and burning off all that sugar, while playing in the rain.

7 comments:

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Whoa! Looks so real, I would not think it's not a pine cone!

Die fantastischen 5 said...

Haha, they look very funny! Great idea again. :)

Sue Elvis said...

These owls look so cute, It would seem rather a shame to eat them! I suppose you've still got the photos once the snacks have been eaten.

Camie said...

May have to copy this one at our house. Too cute!

Ticia said...

Whoops, pinned this without actually commenting.

I LOVE their owls, and now I want to make one. I wonder why I always think of owls in the fall?

Phyllis said...

Now that we are finished our vacation, I am trying to go back and see all the posts that I missed while I was away, and to comment on a few of them at least. This is a wonderful Fall activity. I just love your Fall bucket lists. I am afraid that as much as I want to do one, I always get caught up in starting the new school year and extra fun stuff like this gets dropped off the "To DO" list.

MaryAnne said...

These are really cute!