Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Sewing Card String Art Heart Pattern - Valentine's Math Meets Art



I used instructions for a sort of hybrid cardioid/concentric circle/string art heart from Math Craft, to map out a pattern in Paint for a sewing card craft for the girls.


After printing a few out, I taped them down (lightly, at the corners) to pieces of card stock, and "punched" out the holes with a thumb tack, followed by the sharp point of a pencil.


Then, I cut about three feet worth of yarn (the amount would vary, depending on the size of the print-out). I taped one end of the yarn to the back of the card stock, and threaded a darning needle onto the other, and gave the girls instructions...


...to follow the numbers, sewing up, through from the back, on the odds...


...and down, through from the front, on the evens, being careful to pull all the yarn through.


When they got to the end, we removed the needle, tied the loose ends together on the back...


...tore away the paper, and decorated the card stock...


...with crayons for a finishing touch.


The project was a lot of fun, and easy enough for my 8 year old to do on her own, with only a little double checking of the numbers.  If string art isn't your thing, don't worry, I also made up a blank pattern (for myself, really)...


...to play with in Paint.


Happy Valentines Day!

11 comments:

Sue Elvis said...

Math Craft is such an interesting site. Thank you for sharing it! I always enjoy seeing ideas actually put into action.I especially liked the blank pattern you made in Paint. Now I'm wondering how you did it. I might just have to try that myself!

Sue Elvis said...

When I said I liked the blank pattern you made in Paint, I meant I liked the last one especially which is animated! Sometimes I don't say things very well!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Sue - I made a series of individual photos, adding one line at a time in Paint, and then grouped them in a gif maker. The kids found gifmaker.me through a Google search. It worked great - but I haven't had a chance to check out how legit or safe it is, so I hate to recommend it. We also made a little video through one of our movie making software - that worked pretty well, too.

Ticia said...

I can just imagine how long it took to do all of that in paint.

Sue Elvis said...

Thank you so much for sharing how you made the animation. I'm going to try making one of my own. I love learning new things!

claireshomeeducation said...

Leah, you are so clever! I just don't have the brain to actually create stuff like this from scratch. Seriously, you are so clever!

Anonymous said...

You do the most amazing things!

Anonymous said...

You are truly talented at coming up with the coolest stuff! Impressive!

MaryAnne said...

This is really neat! Definitely something I want to try with the kids.

Phyllis said...

That is so beautiful. Can I be homeschooled by you?

Bethany said...

This looks like so much fun!