Sunday, January 11, 2015

A Devotion Book for High School Graduates


When I was looking for graduation gift ideas for T(age 17), I was absolutely thrilled to find a grad edition of Oswald Chamber's My Utmost for His Highest.  I don't think there's anything that sets the grad edition apart from the usual editions, except for the cover - but it's extremely special to me, and a perfect extra little gift for T.

Chamber's 80 year old, short, scripture-based readings for each day of the year, were a favorite of my father's, when he graduated from the college T has just been accepted into, more than 60 years ago.  He was so taken by the challenges presented in its pages at that time, he named the summer Bible camp, started with a few fellow class-mates, after it.  A camp that still exists, and my own children have had the privilege of attending.

My father died when I was a child - long before T was born.  I'm so happy to be able to pass along to T a copy of the devotional, that influenced his own thinking about his faith.  As T reads through each days offering, he will be following in his grandfather's footsteps, seeking the will of the Father for his life.

2 comments:

Ticia said...

What a great graduation gift.

MaryAnne said...

This does sound like a neat graduation gift, and I love the link to your father. Mike's dad died long before any of our kids were born, and anything that builds that relationship is nice.