Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Alternative Easter "Egg" Hunt - Part II

I managed to finish off my plans for the children's verse themed candy hunt for Easter, with one last trip to the store, keeping the Bible concordance in mind, as I browsed the candy aisles.

You can see the candy I hope to hide for each child below, along with their matching verses. Each child will receive a verse sheet, with the candy names omitted but the key words left in bold, to use as a guide during the hunt.  All the verses are from passages familiar to the children, but we'll try to do a quick context review before the hunt begins.


Chocolate Praying Hands - Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak - Matthew 26:41

Chocolate Lamb Candy - Behold the Lamb of God, who takes away the sins of the world. - John 1:29.

A Mini Milky Way - Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father but through Me." - John 14:6

Chocolate Kisses - But Jesus asked him, “Judas, are you betraying the Son of Man with a kiss?” - Luke 22:48

Red Vines - “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing." - John 15:5

Almond Joy - But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. - Luke 2:10

Tootsie Roll - and they asked each other, “Who will roll the stone away from the entrance of the tomb?” - Mark 16:3

Life Saver - For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will save it. Luke 9:24

Dove Chocolate Candies - “I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves. - Matthew 10:16

Swedish Fish - Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke them. Then he gave them to the disciples to distribute to the people. - Luke 9:16

Reese's Pieces - They all ate and were satisfied, and the disciples picked up twelve basketfuls of broken pieces that were left over. - Luke 9:17

Chicks - “Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you were not willing." - Matthew 23:37

Any candy chick, or even those awful little Peeps, would do for Jesus' words from Matthew 23:37, but since it was getting to be quite a bit of candy, I decided to throw in one quick toy.  If you've seen any of our other bean bag creations, then you know these are really simple to make - but always well loved.

Cut pieces from felt (a drinking glass provided the pattern for the circle, and the rest was free-hand)...

Sew (leaving an opening on the side)...

Fill with rice or beans...

Sew up the opening.
It's great to be a homeschooler.

6 comments:

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Your children are very lucky to have such a creative Mom!

Ticia said...

My kids are always in favor of more stuffed animals. I think they almost like it better than candy.
Almost.

Mary said...

What a fabulous idea! I'm definitely going to put this on my list of things to try! Love your blog!

My Oatmeal Kisses said...

I love how you are always connecting things together, in this case candy with the true meaning of Easter. I featured your post over on my blog today! Thanks for the gread ideas!
http://www.myoatmealkisses.com/2012/04/easter-ideas-weekly-wrap-up.html

Marguerite said...

I love it. I think I will need to try this next year.
Alleluia! He is Risen! Happy Easter!

Reylan | National Labor Relation Act said...

I gonna try it next year.