Friday, July 29, 2011

Crochet Food on a Contact Paper Cooktop


I was busy this afternoon, crocheting up a storm, or maybe I should say a feast, following patterns from Rose Langlitz's Tasty Crochet, on loan from a neighbor.

She, meaning my neighbor, has only made a couple of the patterns herself, but said her cousin made an entire set of play food for her children, and they love them. She thought maybe my children might enjoy them, too.

The book is full of visually appealing photographs, 33 simple patterns, from asparagus to Poptart-like toaster pastries, and a how-to crochet guide at the back, perfect for beginning crocheters. It's just the kind of crochet book I like, full of must do projects, that don't take a lot of concentration, skill, or time to complete.

In fact, working away, while the children were down for a nap, I managed to create a breakfast assortment of pancakes, eggs, and bacon...


...and still had enough time left to put together a quick, tabletop stove. I probably could have taken a little more time, and done a better job keeping the air bubbles out of the contact paper on the stove, but the children don't mind, and I'm sure you get the idea. It's just four construction paper circles for burners...


...and four more, small, white circles for the backs of the knobs, sandwiched between two pieces of contact paper...


...with cardboard circles, for the fronts of the knobs, hooked on top, through the contact paper, with paper fasteners, so they can be turned.


The girls (later joined by their brother) went straight to work, after nap, frying...


...and flipping...


...serving...

...and eating.

My neighbor was spot on - the children absolutely love Tasty Crochet. And, I haven't even shown them the Poptart pattern, yet.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

12 comments:

Jennifer said...

This is fantastic! I have always wanted to learn how to crochet and these projects are on a scale that I think I could handle... going to request this book from the library right now. And I love your cooktop - very creative! You always have the simplest, coolest ideas! We tried the masking tape roads BTW, and they were a hit!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

OK, this is seriously awesome. You did a lot in a couple of hours. Perhaps one day I will learn to crochet too!

Sparklee said...

Wow, you are so creative! This looks like fun!

Debbie said...

I absolutely love this and don't know of any little girl who wouldn't think the same.

Unknown said...

I am jealous of your girls...fun food WITHOUT calories...

Sheltie Times said...

I love that book. I have made lots of crochet food for family and friends for play kitchens. Theywork up quick and they are lots of fun. There are lots of free patterns out there, too.

Lisa said...

Now that's creative thinking! Good job, Mom!

Melanie (Raising our Blessings) said...

I love all the foods. My 6yr old son said he wanted pancakes, eggs and bacon for his diner. So mommy will be crocheting up a storm and make an assortment for him and it will be part of his Christmas gift. I love to crochet, it's so calming and relaxing :0)

Phyllis said...

This is a great variation on the felt food! Wonderful!

Christy Killoran said...

That is so cool! I have to learn to crochet!

Ticia said...

This reminds me of my plans to make loads of felt food. Which for me would probably take a lot less time than trying to crochet.......

Elise said...

You were so productive during your childrens nap time. I really like your stove top idea too. Perfect to whip up for some play and not have to try and find a permanent large space for a play stove.

Crochet food would be delightful to play with.