Saturday, September 26, 2009

Stuffed Felt Car With Milk Cap Wheels - Take Two

Okay, so maybe it isn't quite as brilliant as I envisioned it, but here's my second try at making a stuffed felt car. Still a little turtle-like, I know. Maybe, if I tried a color other than green...

This time, I sewed two car bodies. The first one was all in white, the second in green, with the windows, bumpers, and lights cut out. I hand stitched around them, leaving the bottom seams open.

Then, I slipped the green car, over the white, and sewed them together around the openings in the green. I also sewed on red circles for rear lights, and because I decided the bumpers should stick out more, I sewed extra white pieces (I didn't have any grey, or I would have used that), over the holes for the bumpers.

Finally, I stuffed it, sewed it up, and added the wheels pretty much the same way I did last time. The only change I made was to use duct tape, as well as glue, to attach the milk caps, and felt, to the wooden skewer axles.

I would still like to fiddle with cutting a better shape for the windshield. The headlights need to be a little further apart. And, I think thinner bumpers would look better. But it's getting closer. I'm happy enough with it, it's going in my Christmas stash. I can always replace it, if I manage something that looks a lot better. The children are a little less picky than I am when it comes to details, anyway, and it rolls really well, which is what will matter to them.
It's great to be a homeschooler.

No comments: