Friday, September 4, 2009

Kid's Craft - Recycled Glass Jar Vase for Fall


We finished up a jar of salsa at lunch today, that was just pretty enough I couldn't bring myself to toss it out. So, after washing off the labels, I called on my two youngest assistants to transform it into a work of art.


I sprayed the jar with a liquid spray on starch. I don't think it's exactly the same thing as the old fashioned liquid starch, but it's the closest thing I've been able to locate. And, it seemed to work pretty well for this project.


The girls applied small squares of tissue paper to the sprayed jar.


When they were done, we soaked a bit of twine in a bowl of the starch, and wrapped it around the top of the jar to hide the ugly part where the lid fit on. Then, we left it to dry for several hours.


And, while it's not exactly high art, the satisfied grins on the girls' faces when they saw their handiwork, filled with sunflowers, in the middle of the table, put the Mona Lisa to shame.


It's great to be a homeschooler.

1 comment:

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Very nice! I love the colors. I'll be linking.