Thursday, June 30, 2016

Summer Spelling - Fruit Snack Challange




I picked up a few boxes of Kellogg's Froot Loops (fruit snack) Letters in the hopes of using them as a part of a VBS snack, I'm working up for later in the month.

I was hoping there would be at least one or two of the letters "A", "B" or "C" in each serving packet.  It turned out the letters were very random, and not good for what I had in mind for VBS, but perfect instead, for a quick spelling game or two, with the children.




To play, I gave each of the children:

  • one packet of the letter themed fruit snacks
  • a small piece of paper
  • a pen
  • and a dictionary (all I could find was our foreign language dictionaries, but they have lists of alphabetized English words one side - so good enough).
And, finally, I placed a napkin in the center of the table.


For the first round of play, the children opened their packets (when I said go)...


...and tried to use as many of their letters as they could, either spelling as many small words as possible, or (for the older children) the largest single word they could create.   Any letters used in a legitimate word were the players' to keep and eat.


Left over letters (those not used in words) were placed on the napkin in the center of the table.


Then for round two, the children wrote down the letters from the center, on their pieces of paper, and tried to use up each letter, making as many words (or the longest word) possible using each letter only once.


The player using up the most letters won all the fruit snacks from the center of the table (or they were divided evenly between players in the case of tie).


As soon as we had finished the first game, C (age 10) asked if we could play again.  She's normally a reluctant speller, so I'll take that as a success.

5 comments:

Phyllis said...

A great idea for summer spelling fun!

Dawn said...

Awesome! You are always so creative!
Blessings, Dawn

Sue Whitson said...

Awesome! Sharing on my FB page on 7/5/16 at 11 am!https://www.facebook.com/almostunschooling/

claireshomeeducation said...

Spelling with food....mmmm I know a certain fourteen year old boy who might suddenly begin to enjoy spelling if it had the promise of filling his perpetually empty tummy :)
Nice one Leah!

Christina said...

I've never seen these snack letters before but what a great idea!