Thursday, June 23, 2016

Movies and Books to Kick-Off Summer Reading



This year, to kick-off our summer reading, I think we'll be turning to a few of our tried and true, family favorites for inspiration.  Such as the book filled flick, The Pagemaster, which we've watched pretty much once a year since T(age 18) was about 4 years old.


Except that this year, I'm ready with a few of the classics mentioned in the movie, already on hand, in both "Junior Classic" form (for the younger girls)...

...and full blown versions (just in case we find enough time altogether for a family read aloud).


Then, of course, there's Inkheart...



...which I'm hoping will inspire the younger girls to pick up at least one more classic children's story...


...while leading the teens to check out the Cornelia Funke series it's based on.


Edward Eager's Half Magic is another story we've listened to summer after summer (for long enough now, that our audio book is in cassette form) to set the scene for long, lazy summer days full of the promise of adventure and all the books we can carry home from the library.


We have never, until now though, read the other books in the series.  I'm hoping this will be the summer.



And, if there's any summer left after we've read all of the above, I noticed, while passing through our local bookstore, that Chris Grabenstein has added a couple more book themed tomes to follow-up on his Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library - which we enjoyed quite a bit as a family read aloud, a few summers back.


4 comments:

Camie said...

Those are great reads.

Ticia said...

I have mixed feelings on the Inkheart movie. I really enjoyed the books, but the movie is so different from it. These mixed feelings don't necessarily mean I won't have the kids read it, just I have hesitations.

I should show the kids Pagemaster, I don't know if I've even seen it.

claireshomeeducation said...

Do you think the Cornelia Funke books would be good for a fourteen year old boy who loves sci fi? I've never heard of them and am intrigued....

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

A read Inkheart trilogy and enjoyed it. We listened to the first book on audio during one of the longer drives, and I was so-so on it. I don't like it when adults act irrationally and children appear way smarter than adults. But I've never even heard of Pagemaster movie - interested to take a look!