Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Pumpkin Dinner Rolls - Make Them A Day Ahead


I made a test batch of rolls, earlier this week, following a recipe by Karen Rummer from AllRecipes.com and shaping according to a tutorial from Beyond Kimchee (lots of fun for kids to help with) except that I skipped the egg wash she called for before baking, because according to Paul Hollywood (of the Great British Baking Show) an egg was can make the rolls appear done too early, and lead to rolls that are golden brown on the outside but doughy on the inside.

With the pumpkin already adding moisture to the rolls, you really don't want doughy.  So, instead of an egg wash, I rubbed the rolls with butter as soon as they came out of the oven, to make them shiny and soft.


They smelled fantastic, and weren't doughy at all - though hot out of the oven, they were a little too moist for my taste.  However, allowed to cool overnight (cooled first, then stored in plastic baggies) they were pretty perfect.  These are really good as day old rolls.


They are on the sweet side of savory rolls - think Hawaiian sweet rolls, but with a pumpkin flavor.  We liked them quite a bit though.

The only down side is the recipe (which make 32 rolls) is too large to mix and knead in a bread machine.  I know because I tried, and ended up having to glop the whole mess out on the counter to knead by hand.  The rolls still, amazingly, turned out.  I like a dough that can handle some missteps.

They are on my bake list again today, for Thanksgiving.  But this time, I'll be mixing up a half batch in the bread maker, and turning them over to the teens with the kitchen scissors for shaping.

What about you?  Do you have a favorite, go-to roll recipe?

3 comments:

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Ooh, this looks amazing! I doubt my limited bread baking skills would be up to the task :D Have a great Thanksgiving!

Ticia said...

I tend to buy some kind of roll from the store because of my luck. This year amusingly enough I had gotten the Hawaiian sweet rolls.

MaryAnne said...

I haven't figure out how to make good gluten free rolls - or good gluten free bread, really. Cookies I can do, and cupcakes. Cakes and bread and rolls - not yet. Yours look amazing.