Monday, September 29, 2014

Pumpkin Rice Krispie Treats


Okay, so I think it was pretty obvious from the picture yesterday, that we pieced our pumpkin puzzle together out of plain old Rice Krispie Treats - the outer edges of the puzzle, anyway.


They were made using the standard, back of the box recipe, with the only change being, that once we had pressed them down into a greased, 8''x8'' pan, we cut out a 1.5'' square, and rolled it in green food coloring, before returning it to the pan.


Then, we turned the treats out onto a sheet of wax paper, and cut them into 1.5" squares, ready to be cut in half diagonally, or pieced as they were into the outline of our pumpkin.


BUT, the inside, pumpkin pieces were made out of Pumpkin Rice Krispie treats.  We were inspired by an original recipe from Sally's Baking Addiction.  It had stove top instructions, and quite a few ingredients, that we pared down to -

  • 3 tablespoons of butter
  • 1/4 cup pumpkin puree


  • 4 cups of mini marshmallows
  • and 1 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice...


...melted together in the microwave for 1 minute and 30 seconds, stirring after every 30 seconds until all the marshmallows were melted.


Per a tip from Sally, we let the melted marshmallow goo sit for 30 minutes, to cool to room temperature, before adding 6 cups of Rice Krispies.


Then, we pressed the treats into our now empty, but still greased, 8''x8'' pan, to cool, before being cut into squares, and triangles to fill in the center of our puzzle.


Despite allowing the goo to cool, we still found the treats a little chewy, if not exactly soggy.  We tend to like our Krispie Treats on the dry side, and so weren't "in love" with the texture.  The look, smell, and taste nearly make up for the chewiness, though.  They really are a pumpkin pie lover's delight. 

For now, they're going into our just-a-little-more-tinkering-and-it-will-be-perfect file, to save for another day, when we don't have the remains of two batches worth of Rice Krispie Treats in the middle of our table.

9 comments:

Dawn said...

What an adorable idea!
Blessings, Dawn

claireshomeeducation said...

Yum! You are not helping my quest to be healthy!!

Ticia said...

I wonder if that's what goes wrong whenever I make rice krispie treats, it always seems like they come out soggy. I swear I'm getting worse at baking as I get older.

Phyllis said...

Surprisingly my guys don't like rice krispy treats. Your pumpkin variety is tempting me though,because I love everything pumpkin. Besides it is such a cute idea.

Lucinda said...

I couldn't believe it when I saw your photo of this last time. I don't know how you think of these things! I actually like chewier krispie cakes so I would love these. (In the process of tracking down pumpkin puree in the UK...)

Beth said...

Very neat! A new idea for some fall fun!

Die fantastischen 5 said...

Cool! I like puzzled food ;)

MaryAnne said...

These do sound yummy! I wonder if you could leave the butter out altogether and solve the texture issue that way? Or at least reduce the butter...

Barb @ A Life in Balance said...

So fun! I love playing with food.