Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Crispy, Crunchy, Pumpkin Pie Rice Krispies


I had an epiphany last night after posting about our chewy, but delicious, pumpkin Rice Krispie treats.  I got to thinking, that if you can remove the moisture from pumpkin seeds by roasting them in the oven, on a low heat - why not try the same thing with our overly moist Rice Krispies?

I crumbled the bars up, and spread them out flat on an ungreased cookie sheet.  Then, I placed the cookie sheet into the oven, at 250°F for about 10 minutes longer than it took the oven to preheat, stirring them once midway through, and keeping a close eye on them to make sure they didn't start to burn.


I allowed them to cool completely in the oven, before scooping them into a snack bowl for sampling.  The result was a pumpkin pie flavored crunch somewhere between the texture of granola and the original Rice Krispie cereal (by the way Kellogg's people, pumpkin pie Rice Krispies is a concept worth looking into).


I really didn't know whether to pour milk over it, and eat it for breakfast, mix in cranberries and peanuts for an afternoon snack, or crumble it over a bowl of ice cream after dinner for dessert.  Fortunately, the children liked it well enough to munch down the entire bowl, as it was, saving me from pumpkin pie loving self.

4 comments:

Ticia said...

I'd be hard pressed to decide as well. Which one to do......

MaryAnne said...

I'm addicted to all things pumpkin, and even more when you add chocolate.

Die fantastischen 5 said...

Looks yummy!

Unknown said...

Oh yes- take Maryanne's suggestion and add in some chocolate chips! Yummmmmm!!!!