Saturday, August 9, 2014

Moving With Children - Playing as We Pack



Moving can be difficult for children.  Watching as their home is dismantled, and packed can be unnerving, and unsettling.  With just a few short weeks left, before a cross-state move of our own, we've been looking for ways to alleviate the younger children's anxiety, and build excitement for the adventure instead.

Packing is a lot of work, but taking time to add elements of play to the process has really been paying off. 

Take for instance the board games.  Instead of shoveling them straight from the shelves into boxes, we decided each game, and puzzle (as much as time will allow) needs to be played, or put together again, before it's packed.

Then, after we get moved into our new house, we will try to play each game once more, as we unpack.


Playing through the games has been time consuming, but it has given the younger girls something to do, other than watch while I pack.  They get to help by playing.  The more games they play, the more they get to pack into the boxes.  They're enjoying the challenge, as well as the chance to play a few of their favorite "forgotten" games.


And, besides distracting the younger children, playing all the old games has helped to reinforce a sense of family togetherness for our teens, who while not anxious, aren't exactly sold on the idea of a move yet, either.

8 comments:

Dawn said...

What a smart idea. I hope your move goes well.
Blessings,
Dawn

Phyllis said...

I know how you feel. Playing games while you pack is an excellent idea. I can't wait to see you new adventures at your new home.

Phyllis said...

Oh, and I am amazed at how new your games look. :)

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Good luck with your move! It's a big change for everyone!

claireshomeeducation said...

I'm sorry your children are a little worried about the move. You are being very sensitive to their feelings by planning ways to ease them. I've only ever moved with very young children and they never really seemed to fully understand what was happening. I hope the move goes well for you and your stress levels remain low throughout.

Ticia said...

That's a brilliant plan to help them with the move.

I'll be praying it is a smooth move, and the transition goes quickly.

MaryAnne said...

I love this idea. Moving is tough!

claireshomeeducation said...

I know you're incredibly busy but I've nominated you for being very inspiring!
http://angelicscalliwags.com/2014/08/22/seven-things-you-could-all-do-without-knowing-about-me/
Cxx
PS I hope your move is going smoothly.