We spent a little time this morning decorating cookies to represent neurons, an idea we found here, at the BrainsRule!
Sugar cookies represent the cell bodies.
Frosting stands in for the cytoplasm.
Each cookie gets:
- 1 green Runt candy - for a nucleus
- 3 banana Runt candies - for Gogli apparatus
- 5 mini M&M's - representing mitochondria
- 5 Rice Krispies pieces - for rough endoplasmic reticulum
- 4 short pieces of a pull apart Air Heads candy - for dendrites (licorice could be used instead)
- 1 long piece of the Air Heads candy - for an axon
- 3 mini marshmallows for myelin
For less sugary neuron model suggestions, as well as for a great description of what neurons are, and how they function, click here, to go to the Neuroscience for Kids site.
It's great to be a homeschooler.