Sunday, May 31, 2009
Saturday, May 30, 2009
This project requires -
- two cans per child
- some rope, or heavy twine - old jump ropes would work too s
- some type of tool to punch holes in a coffee can - I probably would have tried a screwdriver and hammer, but since my husband was willing to take charge of the construction, he opted for a cordless drill.
Turn the cans over, and pull of the loop of rope, and one stilt is ready. Repeat the steps for the second stilt. The kids step up onto the cans, holding the looped rope in their hands. As they step they have to pull on the rope to lift the can with their feet.
Friday, May 29, 2009
- 3 Tbs. baking soda
- 3 Tbs. corn starch
- 3 Tbs. vinegar
- 1 and 1/2 tsp. corn syrup.
Then, we divided the mixture into cleaned and dried medicine cups (you could use soda lids, or a Styrofoam egg carton as well). Finally, we added several drops of food coloring to each cup, and mixed up our paint. The process had a real old style artist studio feel to it - even if our pigment was store bought food coloring.
After trying out the paint while it was still wet, we left it to dry for 24 hours.
Tonight we used our homemade paints to do a little crayon resist-art. We didn't have any water color paper on hand, so we had to settle for card stock, but it still worked out pretty well. The children drew on the paper with crayons, and then filled in with color (the younger children just washed over their pictures). The older children were modeling their art after a Joan Miro inspired project we saw at http://www.artprojectsforkids.org/.
The homemade paint performed well, this recipe will be a keeper for us. Using paint they had mixed and shaded themselves, added to the children's enthusiasm a good deal. And, since this recipe calls for corn syrup, instead of glycerin, we'll most likely always have the ingredients on hand.
It's great to be a homeschooler!
Thursday, May 28, 2009
- 1 and 1/2 cups of flour
- 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup of salt
- 1 package of unsweetened Kool-Aid
- 1 cup of boiling water
Simply mix the ingredients together, and knead the dough until it is a little firm, and no longer sticky. The dough is ready in minutes from start to finish, and the cleanup is minimal (from the mixing anyway - the cleanup from the playing is the normal horrific playdough mess!)
Save one package of the Kool-Aid for drinking. Give the kids the playdough, and a few random cookie cutters. Stick in an entertaining book on tape, and the children will think it's a party! At the very least, it should drive away a droopy afternoon.
It's great to be a homeschooler.
Wednesday, May 27, 2009
- my vacuum cleaner hose (it went right back on to the vacuum when the kids were done)
- a few pieces of card stock
- some typing paper
- tape (masking, scotch and duct)
- a plastic grocery bag (we ended up adding a black garbage bag too)
- a Lego man
- washable markers
- a paper cup
- a Popsicle stick
- a clothes pin
- a small motor (left over from our Klutz Battery Science book)
- a AA battery
- a ruler
- some newspaper
- a plate (to use as a pattern for the parachute)
Tuesday, May 26, 2009
Monday, May 25, 2009
Sunday, May 24, 2009
Saturday, May 23, 2009
We carried them outside, very carefully, and then used them to blow bubbles at pieces of card stock. At first I tried holding the paper up, and having the kids blow bubbles at it. Then we discovered it was easier to lay the paper on the ground, and let the bubbles float down to it.
The kids enjoyed watching the seemingly clear bubbles pop, and leave a colored outline. It wasn't long before they figured out that double bubbles would leave a nice snowman type outline. They were also intrigued by the way the bubbles held the paint - it seemed to blob together at the bottom of the bubble.
Their resulting artwork might not be ready for the gallery, but they had a great afternoon of color mixing, and finding pictures in the ink blot type shapes that resulted. And while the kids were covered in paint - it was mixed with soap, so clean up wasn't too bad.
Friday, May 22, 2009
- 1 piece of felt per pouch (one sheet of felt makes two nice sized wallets)
- embroidery floss (hopefully in a color that does not clash with the felt)
- embroidery needle (a smaller needle would do in a pinch, it might just be harder to thread)
- 1 button per pouch
Fold the felt about two thirds of the way up, leaving about a third at the top for the flap of the wallet. Whip stitch/overcast up both folded sides, starting at the bottom fold. Hide the knots at the top and the bottom, inside of the wallet.
When both sides are stitched, sew a button onto the front of the wallet body. Close the flap over the button. Pinch the fabric of the flap that is over the button, and use scissors to cut a small slit for a button hole.
Slip the button through the hole, and the wallet is complete. This took my ten year old about twenty minutes from start to finish. I began with her younger sister, but then realized she's left handed, so I'm going to have to do a little refiguring to demonstrate an overcast stitch in a way that works for her. I guess I'll be practicing my left handed sewing while the kids nap today.
It's great to be a homeschooler!